You've taken a new job across the country! Congratulations!

You'll be moving to a new home in another state - possibly to the great state of Texas or to Tennessee - where we are licensed and can place your insurance with Safeco Insurance Company. To save money on the move, you decide to rent a truck from a well known rental company. As you're on your way to your new home, the car in front of you stops suddenly. You rear end it, causing considerable damage.

Are you covered?

Moving Truck (U-Haul) Rental Insurance

If you initialed and signed yes to the insurance questions on the rental form then you're covered. That's because you purchased optional damage waivers and supplemental insurance from the truck rental company.

It's good to check with your insurance agent, though. Some auto policies do cover a rental truck. And your renters or homeowners may cover your belongings while in transit.

Again, check with us prior to the move to make sure you’re covered, especially since you're driving a vehicle you're probably unfamiliar with.

You don't want to add to the stress of moving and starting a new job by worrying about a truck accident. So, in most cases you're probably best off buying the rental company’s insurance. It's inexpensive and it's reassuring to know that you're definitely covered.

Contact Huggins Dreckman Insurance for a thorough review of this situation. We will give you peace of mind about your insurance coverage.

Now That You're Moved In, What About Insurance?

When you move to another state, your car and homeowner's insurance will change. Insurance companies apply different rates to different states, and how you are covered in California may not be how you should be covered in Texas or other states.  You'll have to get a new license, among other things, and from a practical standpoint, many states' versions of the DMV won't accept your California insurance anyway. 

Auto Insurance

Most likely, all you have to do - if you are insured with Huggins Dreckman or DRIVE RIGHT Insurance agencies, is to call us before or shortly after you move and we'll set up a new program for you in Texas - or wherever you move to.  If for some reason we can't insure you in your new state, then we'll refer you to a local, professional agent.  If you are not insured with our agencies, you'll want to contact your current agent for a referral in your new state or find an agent on your own. But most likely, if you are reading this, you are insured with us; so just call us and we'll get you settled in your new state.

And, we are licensed in 19 states, so it should allow you to seamlessly transition your insurance.  We provide Safeco products in all 19 states in which we are licensed.  And, we have a dedicated Safeco number 877-857-9505 which you can use 24/7 to reach live assistance with your needs.

If you move within your home state, city or county, report your change of address to us or your current agent. Since where you live impacts the rates, it may make a difference in your insurance costs.

Homeowners Insurance

If you own a home, you'll want to keep your insurance in force until the house changes ownership.

If you are purchasing a new home, you'll have to supply proof of insurance prior to purchase. Even if you rent, you may need to provide proof of renters insurance as part of the rental or lease agreement.

If your new home is part of an association, you will want a very special policy, called a Condominium Homeowner's policy.  It's a lot like a homeowner's or renter's policy, but it is very specific to condominiums and the unique exposures they bring.  Make sure, along with your insurance for your possessions and liability, to insure your interior structure (often called Coverage A or Condo Improvements) as the Condo Association most likely will not do so in its master policy (the master policy is for exterior areas only). 

You must  also consider loss assessment coverage.  If there isn't enough insurance to cover a master association fire or liability loss, for example, the HOA will assess each homeowner, based upon the CC&R's obscure formula, for the balance. Loss Assessment coverage pays for your assessment in this example, up to the policy's limit (generally, $50,000 is the maximum coverage available).

Finally, if you store belongings in a commercial storage unit, check your homeowners or renter's insurance to see if they're covered. If not, you may have to purchase a storage unit policy.

One Insurance Source

Talk with Huggins Dreckman Insurance, before you move anywhere. We'll make sure you get the right auto and homeowner's coverage for your new surroundings. As a leading independent agent, we have many highly rated insurance companies to choose from; and if we can't do a good job for you in your specific instance, we will tell you and refer to you a seasoned agent in our network.

We will be able to obtain the best value and insurance coverage for your situation by making sure you receive all of your allowed premium discounts.